Today started off as usual days do, only a few hours later than most and a tad more spunky from the extra sleep. My preschooler was a few hours late to school and because I know my excuses are getting old this week I decided to confirm my son carried my genetics. I advised him to walk in the door slowly and tell the teacher that he was sorry he was late but Batman had come to visit for breakfast. He giggled as I began to sneak quietly towards the front door but not nearly as loud as I giggled when I heard his excited baby voice pierce the hallways, "I saw batman Fools! Heck Ya!" and as simply as it sounds, I knew today my son reached the top of the popularity ladder when I heard the children scramble from their desks for more information.
I could tell you about the bills I paid, the house I cleaned, all of my laundry and the crap ton of work that I did on this very computer but all that pales in comparison to the boy who became a man the same day batman ate brunch with his brother.
On our way to the dentist my 9 year old son asked me if it is going to hurt when he he gets his cavities filled. See, when kids are quiet it is not because they are well behaved but more like they are absorbing what is going on around them. Like a month back when the dentist advised me that he likely would need to sedate my children for $300 non insured dollars a visit (3 visits total), which was also the conversation where I advised the dentist that I procreate super humans and after they age of 5, they can suck it up and take one for the team! I will never lie to my super humans, so I look him square in the eye and say, "Son, its gonna hurt like a son of a bitch! Like the time you thought you knocked your adult tooth out with the tennis ball gun. But only for a few seconds...." My squirm ball son whose ADHD medicine had long since worn off was whining and wiggling, scratching and crying, yet the dentist is looking at ME with a glare like I was about to be grounded to my room. He explained everything with a name to Steven, Mr. Bumpy, Mr. Thirsty yada yada and no one noticed but me that the only thing he didn't introduce was the huge needle that he was hiding in his lap. Yes, hiding! He pinches his cheeks, tells him to close his eyes, picture Mr. Thirsty and take a deep breath. This second in time I either 1. Decided that that was completely dishonest or 2. That I was going to prove my way was better... (Maybe both) and I say, "Steven, he is going to pop you with that needle man, they say the boys who do this without a tear walk out a man!" Well believe it or not, he growled like a beast but he handled his business and every time I saw him wince I would find a new man feature to award him with. "Your leg hair is growing longer" "Son, is that a mustache I see" and when they took his bib off of him he looks up and exclaims, "Mom, I got balls!" and as everyone giggled he walked out like a Boss!
Today's lessons: Just because you don't understand a mothers ways, doesn't mean they're wrong. If it wouldn't work for you try to keep in mind that they are not raising you, they are raising mini versions of themselves. I love my mini me's. I adore the intelligence they carry, their beautiful faces, quick whit, wild imaginations, and comedic ways. They are still working on mastering the art of finding the fine line between blunt and respect. But that is cool, cause sometimes I still think I need a few of those years to learn it well enough to teach it!
I hope everyone had something equally exciting happen today, it is hard to beat batman and balls. Goodnight Bloggers!
No comments:
Post a Comment